Want to Work on Your Fitness? City of GR Offering 17 Free Outdoor Fitness Classes Starting May 23
Looking to get active outdoors this summer? The City of Grand Rapids is offering a bunch of free outdoor fitness classes!
City of Grand Rapids Offering Free Fitness Classes for 7th Year
Grand Rapids recently announced the 7th year of free fitness in parks and public spaces across the city.
No matter how you want to get moving, there is likely a class for you. Seventeen dance, cardio, and yoga classes will run weekly from May 23 to Sept. 3, 2022.
Classes are Monday through Saturday and you don't have to register in advance. If a class has to be cancelled due to weather, the announcement will be made on the Parks and Recreation Facebook page, or you can call the department’s cancellation hotline at (616) 456-3699.
David Marquardt, the City’s parks and recreation director said in a release,
The free outdoor fitness series is one of our most popular summer offerings. Thanks to community partnerships, we were able to expand our offerings and host a longer series. We look forward to another summer of getting the community active outdoors.
The City of Grand Rapids is partnering with Priority Health and Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. on the fitness series.
Schedule of Grand Rapids Free Outdoor Fitness Classes
Instructors will lead a variety of classes at varying fitness levels, including kickboxing, Zumba, and slow flow yoga. The earliest class starts at 5:30a.m. and the latest class starts at 7:25p.m. All classes run for 45 minutes except for 30-Minute HIIT.
Clicking on each link below will take you to the Facebook event for the class.
Mondays, May 23 through Aug. 29
- Yoga at Mulick Park (1632 Sylvan Ave. SE) from 6-6:45 p.m.
- SoulfulMOTION at Garfield Park (2111 Madison Ave. SE) from 6:30-7:15 p.m.
- Zumba at Rosa Parks Circle (135 Monroe Center St. NW) from 6:30-7:15 p.m.
Tuesdays, May 24 through Aug. 30
- Groove on The Blue Bridge from 6-6:45 p.m.
- Kickboxing at 555 Monroe Ave. NW from 6:30-7:15 p.m.
- 30 Minute HIIT at Lookout Park (801 Fairview Ave. NE) from 6:15-6:45 p.m.
- Sunset Yoga at Lookout Park (801 Fairview Ave. NE) from 7-7:45 p.m.
Wednesdays, May 25 through Aug. 31
- Sunrise Yoga at Indian Trails Golf Course (2776 Kalamazoo Ave. SE) from 6:30-7:15 a.m.
- Barre on The Blue Bridge from 6-6:45 p.m.
- WERQ on the Richmond Park Pool Deck (1101 Richmond St. NW) from 7:15-8 p.m.
Thursdays, May 26 through Sept. 1
- POUND on The Blue Bridge from 5:30-6:15 p.m.
- Tai Chi at Briggs Park (350 Knapp St. NE) from 7-7:45 p.m.
- Yoga at MLK Park (900 Fuller Ave. SE) from 7:15-8 p.m.
Fridays, May 27 through Sept. 2
- Zumba at Roosevelt Park (739 Van Raalte Dr. SW) from 6:15-7 p.m.
- Slow Flow Yoga at Lookout Park (801 Fairview Ave. NE) from 7-7:45 p.m.
Saturdays, May 28 through Sept. 3
- SoulfulMOTION at 555 Monroe Ave. NW from 10-10:45 a.m.
- Kids Yoga at Pleasant Park (620 Madison Ave. SE) from 10-10:45 a.m.
You can find out more about the series here and on the Parks and Rec Facebook page.
Additional Fitness Classes Offered Through the City of Grand Rapids
If you're looking for something different, the City of GR also has classes at varying prices, including cycling, water aerobics, rowing, and paddle board basics.
A new class this year is Kettleball AMPD:
There are programs for kids dance and yoga too, along with Tee Ball and Baseball.
Also, there's a new outdoor fitness park opening up at Ottawa Hills Park soon!