Attention West Michigan Skateboarders Big Event Next Week in G.R.
If you have a passion for skateboarding or you just like watching as a spectator, there is a major skateboarding competition and workshop coming to Grand Rapids.
Skateboarding got its start back in the 1940s when kids were putting roller skate wheels on the bottom of boxes or boards.
In 83 years, skateboarding has become a 5 billion dollar industry with nearly 12 million active skateboarders around the world.
Even if you have never gotten on a skateboard, you have to admit how compelling it is to watch. It is so compelling to watch that it debuted in 2021 as an Olympic sport.
Needless to say, skateboarding has certainly grown in popularity in America and around the world and the sport is only getting bigger.
Skateboarding Competition and Workshop Coming to Grand Rapids
The event is called "Curbed." The idea for the event is to introduce people to skateboarding while catering to those who already love the sport.
Curbed will take place July 15 from 2 to 10 p.m. at Clemente DIY Skatepark in Grand Rapids. The event is free but donations are encouraged because all the money that will be raised is to help build Grand Rapid's first professionally built large-scale concrete skate park.
Here is a list of events and times that will take place during Curbed:
- Food & Drinks all day from Garage Bar with all profits directly benefitting "Friends of Parks."
- General Introduction - At 2 pm there will be a brief introduction to the park, the DIY history, and the gear library where skateboards can be rented for the day.
- Skateboarding Workshop - From 2:30 to 4 pm basic skills and general conversation about skateboarding, and a concert working demo with the Premier team. Plus live music from "The Sailor Kicks."
- Skateboarding Competition - From 4 to 6 pm skateboarders will compete in the best trick contest on new curb features with prizes provided by Deluxe, Premier, and Thrasher.
- Dreas of GR Soul Club Set - From 6 to 8:30 pm there will be an open skate.
- Video Premier of "Ashes, Ashes" - From 8:30 to 9:30 pm.