Michigan’s 2,000-Mile Trail Gets $1.4 Million Towards Completion
A project years in the making in Michigan has received a big boost, as the longest state-designated trail in the nation draws closer to completion.
The Iron Belle Trail runs along two separate routes. There is a hiking segment that mainly follows the North Country National Scenic Trail on the west side of Michigan. There is also an 800-mile bike trail that runs between Belle Isle in Detroit up to Ironwood in the western Upper Peninsula.
The funds raised will help support the following projects:
- Crawford County, $50,000 for the engineering of a project from Fletcher Road to Four-Mile Road.
- Crawford County, $50,000 for the engineering of a project from M-93 to North Wright Street.
- Crawford County, $50,000 for the engineering of project from North Wright Street to Otsego County line.
- North Country Trail Association (Alger County), $50,000 for design of the Laughing Whitefish River Bridge.
- North Country Trail Association (Baraga County), $50,000 for construction of the Canyon Falls Boardwalk.
- DNR – Tahquamenon State Park (Luce County), $49,980 for construction along the Tahquamenon River Trail.
- Polly Ann Trailway Management Council (Oakland County), $3,081 for the purchase and installation of a bike repair station.
- Carrollton Township (Saginaw County), $50,000 for trailhead appraisal and design.
- Calhoun County Road Department (Calhoun County), $10,000 for construction of a safe road crossing.
- Calhoun County Trailway Alliance (Calhoun County), $15,000 for trail planning.
- City of Frankenmuth (Saginaw County), $16,000 for trailhead amenities and signs.
- Bay City (Bay County), $30,193 for signage, bike repair stations.
- Otsego Lake Township (Otsego County), $50,000 for trailhead design and construction.
- Huron-Clinton Metroparks (Washtenaw County), $38,742 for trailhead at Dexter-Huron Metropark.
- Huron-Clinton Metroparks (Wayne County), $43,360 for signage.
- Van Buren Township (Wayne County), $50,000 for design at Willow Run Creek and Van Buren Park.
- Van Buren Township (Wayne County), $50,000 for engineering of a trail route.
- Grand Blanc (Genesee County), $4,100 for a bike repair station and other amenities.
- Corwith Township (Otsego County), $7,000 for trailhead signage.
- Crystal Falls Township (Iron County), $15,000 for engineering of a Heritage Trail extension.
- Battle Creek (Calhoun County), $30,000 for trail signage.
- Grayling (Crawford County), $45,428 for a route study, public engagement.
- Detroit Greenways Coalition (Wayne County), $5,000 for Iron Belle Trail maps.
- Au Sable Township (Iosco County), $45,000 for trailhead design.
- Dickinson County Bike Path (Dickinson County), $8,000 for signage.