Made In Michigan – Movie Edition
Filmmakers find something about Michigan that they like. Maybe it’s that grittiness that was on display in 8 Mile. Perhaps its the Midwest charm in Grosse Pointe Blank. Is it the ease you feel when in West Michigan? Whatever the reason, here are some Made-in-Michigan movies:
- Up In The Air- George Clooney stars as a successful, yet lonely jetsetter in this 2009 film. The movie was shot mostly in St. Louis but there are some scenes shot in Detroit.
- True Romance-This 1993 romantic crime film was written by a young Quentin Tarantino and was shot in Detroit and several Southern California cities.
- Road To Perdition-The 2002 crime thriller starring Tom Hanks was set in 1930s Chicago, but filming took place in several western Michigan cities, including Grand Rapids, Saugatuck, Zeeland and West Olive.
- Escanaba In Da Moonlight-This ode to the UP was directed by Michigan native Jeff Daniels. The movie was filmed throughout the Escanaba area.
- Gross Pointe Blank-This one stars John Cusack. The movie may be named after a Detroit suburb but only a small portion of the film was actually shot here. Some scenes took place in Detroit, while the majority of the movie filmed in California.
- Gran Torino-This 2008 film directed by Clint Eastwood is full of Michigan representation, with scenes shot in Highland Park, Grosse Pointe, Detroit, Royal Oak and Center Line.
- 8 Mile-Detroit played a major role in Eminem's break out film, as well as Warren, Southfield, Southgate, Highland Park and Sterling Heights.
- Dreamgirls-The fictionalized story behind Motown's "The Supremes" was also shot in Michigan.
- Beverly Hills Cop-The action comedy premiered in 1984. Filming took place in Detroit, Los Angeles and Beverly Hills.