Empty the Shelters is Back in May!
The BISSELL Pet Foundation has hosted many Empty the Shelter events but this upcoming one is their largest one yet!
A press release from BPF says that they have partnered with 200 shelters and rescues in 36 states for Empty the Shelters from May 5-9. 42 of those organizations are right here in Michigan. During that week, adoption fees for animals will be $25 or less. Participating West Michigan shelters include:
- Wishbone Pet Rescue Alliance - Allegan
- Crash's Landing - Grand Rapids
- Humane Society of West Michigan - Grand Rapids
- Kent County Animal Shelter - Grand Rapids
- Ionia County Animal Shelter - Ionia
- Kalamazoo Animal Rescue - Kalamazoo
- SPCA of Southwest Michigan - Kalamazoo
- Faithful to Felines - Muskegon
- Humane Society & Animal Rescue of Muskegon County
- Pound Puppies Animal Shelter - Muskegon
- Heaven Can Wait Animal Haven - Norton Shores
- Al-Van Humane Society - South Haven
- Harbor Humane Society - West Olive
The BISSELL Pet Foundation began the event in 2016 to help homeless pets, and since then, have put over 49,000 pets in forever homes. A statement from founder Cathy Bissell,
Empty the Shelters not only helps our shelter partners free up space in their facilities, but it places pets in permanent homes. It’s a win-win for everyone involved…our partners, ETS adopters, and most importantly, the pets.
BISSELL reimburses the participating organizations and helps cover the costs for spay/neuter, vaccines, microchipping, and any other necessary care.
Each shelter is operating under their own protocols and some require a pre-registration or pre-approval forms. Find your local shelter and get more info here.
Already have a pet? Are they microchipped? This coming Friday, the 23rd, is National Lost Pet Awareness Day and you can get your cat or dog microchipped for only $10 at the Humane Society of West Michigan.