Van Buren County Police Warn of Phone Scam
Get a call about an Oldies fundraiser event for the Van Buren County Sheriff's office? Watch out, police say it's a scam.
Fox 17 reports that a resident received such a phone call and contacted the Sheriff's office, who after further investigation determined it to be a scam.
Here are some tips from the State of Michigan on how to avoid phone scams:
- Hang up the phone. You do not need to speak to the caller.
- Don’t give out confidential information about yourself (i.e. Social Security Number) to unsolicited callers.
- Never give out your credit card number over the phone to unsolicited callers.
- Avoid phishing scams. Phishing scams occur when a scam artist pretends to be a reputable organization and requests your personal information via telephone or email. If you are unfamiliar with the company, you should check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure there are no complaints and that you are dealing with a legitimate company.
- Sign up for the Do Not Call Registry at donotcall.gov or 1-888-382-1222.