Some West Michigan Schools Are Taking Half Days Due To Heat
With temperatures pretty far above average for this time of year, some West Michigan school districts are only doing half days of school this week.
There is currently a heat advisory in effect for much of the region including the following counties: Ottawa, Kent, Ionia, Clinton, Allegan, Barry, Eaton, Ingham, Van Buren, Kalamazoo, Calhoun and Jackson. The heat index will reach over 100 degrees today and many West Michigan schools don't have air conditioning in their classrooms which is leading to many school districts announcing half days or canceling classes all together this week.
Here are the following school districts that have announced half days this week due to heat:
- Hudsonville Public Schools are only having half days this week and no school on Friday.
- Jenison Public Schools are having half days on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week.
- Caledonia Community Schools are having half days on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
- Wyoming Public Schools are having half days on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
- Ionia Public Schools are having half days on Wednesday and Thursday of this week.
You can read more about the Caledonia, Jenison, Hudsonville half days here and you can read more about the Wyoming and Ionia half days here.
The heat looks like it will break over the weekend and schools will be back to their normal schedule starting next Monday.
If more schools announce half days we will update this article to include them, so check back if you think your school might be having half days.