Michigan – Think Your Neighbors are Nosy? Study Says You’re Right
We've all been there. Mrs. Johnson next door always seems to stare too much and she sure asks a lot of questions too...
Study Finds the Nosiest State in America Is...
All Star Home surveyed folks across the country to find out which parts of the U.S. are more inundated with neighbors who don’t understand boundaries and which are full of neighbors who offer just the right amount of space.
They asked about everything from what activities neighbors have done to the steps Americans have taken to handle their overly interested neighbors...
So, think you've got nosy neighbors? It's not just in your head. All Star Home found that Michigan has the nosiest neighbors in the entire country!
Michigan scored a 90 out of 100 on the nosiness scale.
According to All Star Home, one in two Michiganders have caught their neighbor peeking over their fence.
Here are some of the study's overall findings.
- 2 in 5 Americans say they have had neighbors show up unannounced.
- 1 in 12 have experienced a neighbor going through their mail or packages.
- 2 in 5 Americans say they have looked up their neighbors’ property value online.
- 3 in 10 people have looked up their neighbors on social media.
- 1 in 7 have looked up their neighbors’ jobs or employers online.
Top Ten Nosiest States in the U.S.:
- South Carolina
- North Carolina
States with the least nosiest neighbors?
New Mexico, Minnesota, and Washington.
As far as the nosiest cities in the U.S. One Michigan city came in at No. 3 -- Detroit.
Nosiest Cities in the U.S.
- Memphis, TN
- Louisville, KY
- Detroit, MI
- Oklahoma City, OK
- Columbus, OH
- Nashville, TN
- Charlotte, NC
- Phoenix, AZ
- Portland, OR
- Las Vegas, NV
In terms of how we deal with nosy neighbors, All Star Home finds:
- The most common thing Americans do to deter nosy neighbors is close the blinds.
- 3 in 10 Americans put up a fence or greenery to block their neighbor's view.
- 1 in 4 have installed security cameras to manage nosy neighbors.
- Nearly 2 in 5 people say they have confronted their neighbors.
- 1 in 6 have gone as far as to move away.