Downtown Grand Rapids Inc: Do NOT Ride Scooters And Bikes On Sidewalks
In a recent social media post, Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. is reminding those using bikes & e-scooters to stay off the sidewalks and use the roads.
As anyone who's been downtown lately knows, the shared mobility program in Grand Rapids has been very popular. But many using the micro-mobility rentals like Spin & Lime don't seem to realize that they should be using the roads.
Instead many are zipping through downtown on sidewalks and walkways, which is very dangerous for riders and pedestrians.
In the post, they ask that those renting ride in the street and return the scooters and bikes to designated parking areas:
When using rideshare e-scooters or bikes, please ride on the street (not the sidewalk!) with the flow of traffic. Don't forget to park in a designated parking zone to avoid further charges.
They also shared a link to the Grand Rapids Shared Mobility Page that includes these safety tips and rules:
- Always ride WITH other traffic
- Obey the rules of the road as any other vehicle operator, including all traffic signs, lane markings and signals, and use hand signals to indicate turns, slowing or stopping
- Wear bicycle helmets and reflective clothing
- Stay as far to the right as practical when riding in traffic lanes
- Do not ride more than two abreast in a single lane, and only do so if it does not interfere with the normal flow of vehicular traffic
- Avoid entering the roadway without first stopping to look for vehicles
- Ride predictably and defensively, and do not ride while drunk or distracted
- Always yield to pedestrians
- Have a white front headlight and a red rear reflector if riding after dark or in low light conditions