West Michigan Memorial Day Weekend Parades and Activities 2016
On Memorial Day we remember those who have given their lives for our country.
West Michigan will remember through memorial services, parades and other events.
Memorial Day Parades, Monday, May 30:
- Grand Rapids - 9AM, parade starts at Monroe/Lyon to Division/Fulton to Veteran’s Park.
- Grandville - Ceremony at Wedgewood Park at 9AM. The parade starts at 9:15AM and goes to Grandville Cemetery where it concludes with a ceremony.
- Hastings - Main Street, 9:30AM
- Holland - 9:30AM. The parade route is 1.5 miles. It starts at 8th Street/Central Avenue, heads east on 8th Street to Columbia Avenue, then south on Columbia Avenue to 16th Street, then east on 16th Street to Pilgrim Cemetery.
- Jenison - 9AM, after 5K race. Parade travels along Baldwin Street from 20th Avenue to Cottonwood Drive.
- Lowell - 10AM, starts on Main Street, turns north on Monroe St., ends at Oakwood Cemetery.
- Marshall - downtown, 10AM
- Walker - noon, Lake Michigan Dr. NW between Lincoln Lawns and St. Clair.
- Zeeland - 9AM, starts on Main Avenue at Centennial Street, heads west to State Street, south to Central Avenue and east on Central Avenue to Maple Street.
The West Michigan Tourist Association shares other Memorial Day activities:
- Civil War Days in Coldwater, May 26-29. Living history complete with Civil War Battle Re-enactments, Sutlers and period dance. Spectators can take part in a Civil War Church Service, ride the Steam Engine Train and chat with President Lincoln. Demonstrations and encampments.
- Lost Boat Ceremony at USS Silversides Submarine Museum in Muskegon, May 29 at 11AM. The ceremony honors the loss of 52 U.S. submarines and 3,600 submariners during World War II. Following the ceremony, all are invited to a hot dog lunch and to take some time to explore the museum and the vessels. There is no charge to attend the ceremony or the lunch.
- Michigan's Adventure, May 29-30. Free admission for military personnel of the Armed Forces, National Guard and Reserve. Military personnel may purchase up to six additional tickets for immediate family members at $25.00 each. Guests will be required to show one active military ID, DD-214, military designated driver’s license or Veteran’s Administration Hospital ID to qualify for the discount.
- Newaygo Memorial Weekend Arts & Crafts Festival. Friday 11AM - 7PM, Saturday/Sunday 10AM - 5PM.
Memorial Weekend Blood Drive
- The Michigan Blood “Give for Those Who Gave” blood drive. Donors will receive a $10 Meijer gift card.
- Appointments are preferred for donor convenience, but not mandatory. Schedule an appointment here or call 1-866-MIBLOOD (642-5663).
- Any healthy person 17 or older (or 16 with parental consent) who weighs at least 110 pounds may be eligible to donate, although females age 18 and under must weigh 120 pounds or more. Blood donors should bring a photo ID.
- There is currently an urgent need for O-Negative blood donations.
- Thursday, May 26, 11AM - 7PM at Grand Rapids donor center (1036 Fuller NE, Grand Rapids, 49501-1704, just north of I-196) and Grandville donor center (Grandville United Methodist Church, 3140 Wilson SW, Grandville).
- Friday/Saturday, May 27-28, 8AM - 4PM at Grand Rapids donor center.
- Monday, May 30, 8AM - 4PM at Grand Rapids donor center.