Last Gasp of Summer: Looking Forward to Labor Day Weekend
Drat. Summer is almost done.
Schools go back next week, at least those who aren't on year-round schedules.
Labor Dayis upon us here in West Michigan, which means one long, last weekend of summer and more time off for the rank and file.
To help be prepared for the holiday weekend for Labor Day, which is Sept. 1, here's a list of federal, state, county, city and local closings:
- All federal, state, county, city, village and township offices: closed.
- State unemployment offices closed, but MARVIN will still be running.
- U.S. Postal Service offices and branches: closed.
- Public schools: closed; regular academic year for most schools starts Sept. 2.
- Michigan state parks: open.
- The Rapid: closed, no buses running.
- Municipal trash pickup: Pushed back one day with no service on Labor Day.
- Banks and credit unions: closed.
- Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids: closed
- Kent District Library branches: closed
- Grand Rapids Art Museum and Grand Rapids Public Museum: closed.
- Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum: open 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Malls -- Centerpointe in Kentwood; Woodland in Grand Rapids, RiverTown Crossings in Grandville; Lakes in Muskegon; and West Shore in Holland: open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- John Ball Zoo, Grand Rapids: open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. (regular hours).
- Michigan's Adventure & WildWater Adventure, Muskegon: open 11 a.m.-7 p.m. (regular hours)
- AJ's Family Fun Park, Comstock Park: 11 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Big Dip Waterpark, Grand Rapids: regular hours for pool (slide closed).
- Gold Rush Waterpark, Rothbury: regular hours.
- Holland Community Aquatic Center, Holland: closed.
- YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids: closed.
- Aldi's, Ashcroft Grocery, Asian Delight, Brookside Grocery, D&W Fresh Market, DeMond's, Dollar General, Duthler's Family Foods, E&A Grocery, Family Dollar, Family Fare, Fennville Main Street Market, Forest Hills Foods, Gene's Family Market, Grand Rapids Downtown Market, The Grocery Outlet, Harding's Friendly Markets, Hamilton Food Center, Horrock's, J&R Grocery, Jorgi's, Kingma's, Leppink's, Meijer, Oliver's, Plumb's, Ralph's, Ravenna Foods, Save-A-Lot, Shop-N-Save, Target, Tom's, Village Market and Walmart: Regular hours.
And looking ahead for all you holiday lovers out there, here's where and when other holidays fall for the remainder of the year:
- Veteran's Day -- Nov. 11, a Tuesday; the official federal holiday is Nov. 10, a Monday.
- Thanksgiving -- Nov. 27, the fourth Thursday in November.
- Christmas -- Dec. 25, a Thursday.
- New Year's -- Jan. 1, 2015, a Thursday.