Grand Rapids out of the Running for Amazon’s 2nd HQ Location [VIDEO]
Amazon has released the top 20 finalist cities for their new headquarters... and GR didn't make the cut.
Which means we'll miss out on the up to 50,000 jobs Amazon plans to create. Amazon said in a release each new employee would up make upwards of $100K a year, and they also planned to invest $5 billion into the new headquarters (HQ2).
When Seattle-based Amazon announced in September they were planning to build a second headquarters, they asked cities to send in proposals pitching why they should be the HQ2 site.
Amazon shared these requirements for their potential new headquarters:
- Metro areas with more than one million people
- A stable and business-friendly environment
- Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
- Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options
CNN Money reports that 238 North American cities and regions submitted bids.
According to MLive, Grand Rapids-based economic development group the Right Place sent Amazon a 108-page proposal.
Now Amazon has released a list of their top 20 candidates. So if GR didn't make the cut, who did?
- Atlanta, Georgia
- Austin, Texas
- Boston, Massachusetts
- Chicago, Illinois
- Columbus, Ohio
- Dallas, Texas
- Denver, Colorado
- Indianapolis, Indiana
- Los Angeles, California
- Miami, Florida
- Montgomery County, Maryland
- Nashville, Tennessee
- Newark, New Jersey
- New York City, New York
- Northern Virginia, Virginia
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Raleigh, North Carolina
- Toronto, Ontario
- Washington, D.C.
Looks like Detroit came up short too, despite the pitch video they submitted: